Consumers today are smart. They do their research before doing anything else. They know who your competition is, and they’re all too ready to jump ship and move to them if they have to. Any slight can seem like a big deal and the ease with which they can change course is increasing each day due to the global economy we live in. You have to compete in some way, and it cannot always be on price. If you compete on value instead, you can end up the top choice of your market every time.
* Helps Your Messages Become More Targeted – When you know that your list has already taken some action such as downloaded your lead magnet, or purchased a specific item, then you can focus on sending very specific emails to them that not only discuss the purchase they made, but also discuss the next steps they can take.
* You’ll Increase Sales – By sending more relevant messages, you’ll ensure that your list members feel special. This will then help develop that “know, like, trust” connection that is so important. Thus, you’ll increase sales.
* You’ll Increase Conversions – It doesn’t matter whether you are trying to make a sale, or get people to join a contest, or join you on social media. A more targeted list will mean more conversions all the way around.
* You’ll Avoid Marketing to Unresponsive People – Sometimes people initially join a list just to get a free thing you’re giving away. They have no intentions of acting further. So, if you move those who do act into another list, you can then market more aggressively to the unresponsive ones or even remove them from the list.
* Your Emails Will Be More Personalized – When you have a specific segmented list, whether it’s due to behavior or demographics, the messages can be much more specific. You can discuss the things they have done, or name something personal about the group they’re part of (women, men, moms, dads, etc…) and that makes them feel important and included.
* Subscribers Are Less Likely to Leave – People think they’re on the wrong list if they see marketing messages or educational messages about a product or solution they’ve already purchased. That makes them leave the list. In reality, you want them to leave, but to a new list that’s more appropriate.
* You’ll Improve Response Rate – When an email is more targeted due to segmentation, you’ll see a huge improvement in response rate for things you ask them to do, such as fill out a survey. The reason is that they feel as if the information is more directed to them and not just generic for everyone.
* Different Forms of Marketing Work for Different People – Another reason that segmentation works so well is that each type of person responds to different forms of marketing. You can determine this by their behavior. If you segment based on behavior, you’ll notice an enormous increase in ROI moving forward.
When you segment your list, you can send more personalized and relevant messages to the list members. This will cut down on unsubscribes, and you’ll see an increase in return on investment. Your autoresponder software has features that will help you segment lists for best results. As always, follow the laws regarding spam in your country.